From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:46:10 -0700
Mikael Rasmusson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Steven Schwartz:
>
>>I might as well list my preferences:
>>
>>1 "Sea" - Boult (either recording)
>
>I've heard Handley-a disappointment (the Handley box is recommended by
>Penguin!)

I prefer Boult's '51 with Baillie and Cameron.  For a modern stereo version
Anderw Davis on Teldec.

>>2 "London" - Boult, Barbirolli
>
>Not my favourite VW symphony-I might give Hickox or your recommendations a
>try.

I'll second Barbirolli.

>>3 "Pastoral" - Boult
>
>Is it even better than Previn?!

I presume Steve refers to Boult's EMI stereo:  there are also the Decca
mono and a BBC studio recording 9on the old IMP BBC label).  Previn is very
good, but Boult may well be preferable, although this is not my favourite
RVW.

>>4 - Vaughan Williams, Mitropoulos, Bernstein
>
>Is this the VW recording from 1935 (or was it 1938)?

1938.  Unmatched in ferocity.  Mitropoulos is also red hot.  Don't think I
know the Bernstein.

>>5 - Barbirolli, Previn (haven't yet heard Hickox, but it's on my list)
>
>I've heard Slatkin-not too bad.

Slatkin is to my mind not much more than blandly good throughout his cycle.
JB is fabulous, but I'm itching to hear the composer-conducted version
coming from the BBC IIRC.

Previn's new EMI is better than his RCA< but I think Haitink is better
than either.  Forced to choose one, until the RVW comes along, I'll take
Barbirolli.

>>6 - Previn, Boult
>
>Slatkin is OK.

Again, OK is not really enough.  I really like the Stokowski which
accompnaied the Mitropoulos 4, with the 1st version of the scherzo I seem
to remember.

>>7 - Boult
>
>I'm not so impressed  by Antarctica for the moment....

Only one 'c' - "Antartica" is the Italian. I like Previn here.

>>8 - Boult
>
>Slatkin good, but Previn is better.

There was a Stokowski Prom performance on the old BBC label which was
enormous fun.

Deryk Barker