From:
Elle Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:04:38 -0700
Ed Beach writes:

>I am not a writer of music and I can only imagine how difficult it
>must be to create a great melody. I feel that there are some American
>composers that have: Bernstein, Barber, Rogers Menotti, & Copland come
>to mind as exceptions.  A few of these have written for "musical theatre".
>Would you consider that music "serious".

Oh, cripes.

You know, the affected will always be affected, Ed.  No getting around
that.  This is serious.  This is bona fide.  This has value.  This is
pap.

I went from conservatory piano...think big fat juicy sonatas.  Serious.
To solo cello...think Brahms and Elgar.  Serious.  To Ives songs
piano/vocal.  Serious.  To fiddle.  Think Kentucky old time amazing cross
tuned pieces with more heart and soul than any of the above.  O, anyone
not recognizing the seriousness of the latter has no nervous system.

When a piece of music reaches out and grabs you by the heart, it's
serious.  I don't care what composer.  What genre.  Don't care.

I am allowed this sacrilege because I am an old woman who has loved and
played music for 50 years.  Seriously.

Elle at Dove's Roost Farm
http://paletteable.livejournal.com/