From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:15:23 -0500
Deryk Barker replies to my list of great Mahler recordings:

>>Walter: Mahler 1 - mainly for the blazing last movement.
>
>Steve, I hope you're referring to his 1950 mono recording, because the
>stereo remake, IMHO, flags badly in the finale.

Actually, I meant the stereo remake.  I haven't heard the 1950 recording.
I remember hearing the later Walter at the HMV (EMI?) superstore in London
as the LP of the moment, and everybody in the store (meaning me and my
friends) stopped in their tracks when that finale came on.

Steve Schwartz