From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:29:06 -0700
Aaron Rabushka:

>Beethoven did in fact rework his violin concerto into a piano concerto,
>but nowhere is this referred to as "Concerto #6."

Tim Mahon replies & wonders:

>I found the reference which prompted my original question.  In a National
>Symphony Orchestra subscription advertisement, they show a concert on 9/17
>this year which includes Garrick Ohlson playing (and I quote)
>
>BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto "No. 6" in D major
>(Transcription of Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61

>So what's the skinny, folks? Is this revisionist history at work and are
>people ignoring the 'real' draft No. 6 referred to by Aaron?

Yes and no.  That which is usually referred to as "No.  6" is the
abovementioned transcription.  In Schwann we say (No.  6) in parentheses
to give the idea.

I also find reference (in "The Beethoven Compendium", Border's Press, Barry
Cooper, General Editor; a very helpful book, if you're in my line) to a
projected "Sixth Piano Concerto" of 1815, numbered Hess 15.  I quote from
the aforemetioned source:

   "...the Sixth Piano Concerto of 1815.  The full score of this begins
   confidently, but contains increasingly large gaps before petering
   out altogether about halfway through the solo exposition.  Sketches
   survive giving some indication of what might have followed..."

An attempt at completion was made at one point (of the one movement only).
Never recorded AFAIK.

& That's as skinny as it gets.

Bob K.