From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:28:41 -0500
Christine Labroche wrote:

>I am looking for a recording of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. The number
>I have found, (c.30), overwhelms me. ...
>
>Could anyone _warmly_ recommend a particular recording?

My favorites include: both Reiner recordings, Leinsdorf and Koussevitzky.

The Koussevitzky is from a radio broadcast about 4 weeks after the first
performance.  The sound quality of the available transfer is not very good.
Many writers have little good to say about the performance, but I find it
wonderful.  The Leinsdorf is not generally considered amongst the best,
but I like it very much.  The second Reiner recording has the benefit of
somewhat better playing of the Chicago Symphony and the sound quality is
quite fine even by today's standards.

Karl