From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:31:13 -0800
Reading Steve's review...as usual, I agree with much of what he writes.
The quote below, had me thinking...

Steve Schwartz wrote:

>According to what I've read in and around the Internet, Silver
>strikes me as a composer caught between the proverbial rock and
>a hard place. She's too wild for the genteel and too tame for the
>no-real-music-before-1980 crowd.

I was reminded of how many fine composers I know of who have suffered
at the hands of not being fashionable for their time.  Of course one of
the majors was Rachmaninoff.  Aside from the most obvious pieces, which
were never out of fashion, I think about how poorly some of his late
works were received.

Then there were so many Americans who had their relatively brief time
"in the sun." Composers like Whithorne, EB Hill, Mason, Farwell, Cadman,
Foote, Sowerby, etc.  It makes me wonder how many others have fallen
"between the cracks."

Any other nominations?

Karl