From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:56:50 -0500
Today, I and 3 others sang at a funeral.  We sang the following:

Bach: O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden (in a not-usual harmonization)
Faure: Pie Jesu (from the Requiem)
Byrd: Ave verum corpus
Mozart: Ave verum corpus
Praetorius: Es ist ein' Ros entsprungen (family request)
Faure: In paradisum (from the Requiem)

We knocked their socks off.  Usually at these things, the audience talks
through the music.  Here, they hushed one another up.  There's supposedly
a priest shortage in the U.S.  You couldn't prove it at that place.  There
were 10 priests officiating (not counting the ones in the audience).  The
deceased's brother is a priest.

We got paid $50 apiece.  The accompanist got $75.

Steve Schwartz