From:
Ernest Robles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 19:51:08 -0700
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Years later, I discovered that German and Japanese pressing plans did
> much better with Columbia tapes than the Americans did--big surprise.
> Some Columbia recordings are actually very good if pressed decently.
> Unfortunately, I've not found any German or Japanese pressings of
> Cleveland or Philadelphia.  CD is probably the way to go, but I've
> not really looked deeply into this.  I should.

I recall Sony issuing some Cleveland performance in SACD format.
I bought some and later bought an SACD player (these CD's could only
be played through a dedicated SACD player).  It's been some time since
I listened to them, but my impression was that they were very spacious
and warm compared to the regular CD's and lp's.  I'll have to dig these
out again.  I think your assessment of Philadelphia is right.  I understand
EMI tested out many venues before recording at the Old Met (in Philadelphia)
and Fairmont Park and they captured well the sound of the orchestra at
the time.

"Ernest Robles" <[log in to unmask]>