From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:07:10 PDT
Jon Johanning wrote concerning Beethoven's 9th:

>I myself think that the first three movements are great, but the Great One
>bit off a little more than he could chew on the last one.

Although there are some awkward moments in the fourth movement, I consider
it the glorious wrap-up of Beethoven's symphonic efforts.  I can just
imagine Beethoven thumbing his nose at everyone as he was writing it.
Further, the movement is loaded with some thrilling music which never
fails to impact me intensely.  Can't you hear it?

If any significant criticism of a Beethoven symphony is warranted, it's the
eighth that deserves it.  A great fifth, sixth, and seventh, followed by a
very weak one, then reaching the heights with the ninth.  Even Beethoven
had his "slump" periods.  I do emphasize that the eighth is fine on its
own, just not in comparison to the others mentioned.

Don Satz