From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 07:45:26 -0500
Max Bruch's Odysseus (recorded on Koch Schwann 3-6557-2, reviewed Fanfare
Nov/Dec 1999 pp 226-7 by Martin Anderson) comes immediately to mind (well,
I was just rereading that issue a few days back...) Luigi Dallapiccola's
opera Ulisse, available in a Stradivarius recording at one point (reviewed
in 1995 in Fanfare I think?) also suggests itself (see eg

http://www.hnh.com/NewDesign/fintro.files/bintro.files/operas/Ulisse(Ulysses).htm

for information).  And of course Monteverdi's treatment.  Christian
Cannabich wrote an "Ulisse e Orphee" (selections recorded on a Musica
Bavarica LP, MB 901, in the 1970s.) Heinrich v.  Herzogenberg's op.  16 is
an Odysseus-symphony (which I shouldn't mind hearing!).  Nancy Laird Chance
(unknown name to me at this time) published a song-cycle for solo voice,
percussion and orchestra "Odysseus" in 1981.  Cecil Armstrong Gibbs (less
unknown...) published a symphony in four movements for soprano and baritone
soli, mixed chorus, and orchestra in or before 1939.  (Compiled, some from
memory, some with help from library catalogs.  And of course one thinks, of
Wilhelm Stenhammar's Ithaca (sp?)!!!)

-Eric Schissel