From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 05:05:17 -0700
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If you could more or less fit the words, "Is this the O'Reilly who owns
>the hotel?" to the opening tune of the minuet, then it was by Haydn.

I don't know the origin, but I came across the story when doing some
background research for a concert preview talk a couple of years ago.
The London Chamber Orchestra and Christopher Warren Green were playing
the 'Trauer' in California (and some Part, Shostakovich and Mozart -- quite
a concert) and I stood up and trotted out this story to break the ice.
Unknown to me, the sound system was on in the orchestra area and a stifled
guffaw from back stage convinced the audience it was all a setup!

Incidentally -- it does work with the 'Trauer'.  During the concert my two
guests were busily mouthing "Are you the O'Reilly who owns this hotel?" at
the opening of the minuet -- and big grins of success followed!  For some
reason it now always reminds me of John Clees and a gnome, but I guess
that's a cultural thing!

Tim