From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:12:26 -0400
During the early 1980's, AT&T funded a program encouraging major symphony
orchestras to commission new works by up and coming American composers.
One of the guarentees to the recipients of this grant, promised that the
new work would be performed by at least three of the major, metropolitan
orchestras (including those of Chicago, New York and Boston).

One work caught my attention almost immediately.  It was titled "A Requiem
for Survivors".  The composition follows a theme and variations scheme, in
which the composer took the first eight notes of the "Lacrimosa" movement
of the Mozart Requiem (supposedly the last music Mozart physically wrote)
and built the entire work on that motif.

The result was striking and profound; a piece of very sublime beauty
and possesing a certain inner peace that I can't quite forget.  Martin
Bookspan, in his performance commentary (the work was presented by the New
York Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta directing) said the composer wrote this work
not as a tribute to the deceased, but as a memorial for those who are left
behind (the "survivors" of the the title).

Since that time, I have been unable to locate any recordings of this
piece, if in fact they exist.  Having long since forgotten the composer's
name has not made it any easier.  I therefore am throwing this out to
this list for any information they may have on this work.  If no direct
information exists, possibly someone can point me to a resource I can
investigate.  Thanks for your help.

Mark Seeley