From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:14:53 -0800

And Steve Schwartz wrote:

>It sounds to me like late Classicism, early Romanticism.  That leads me
>to Beethoven or Mozart.  Indeed, a couple of phrases seem Mozartean to
>me (probably means it's Hummel).  As far as I know, Beethoven wrote
>nothing for two pianos and orchestra, which is what *I* hear, at any
>rate.

Many thanks to Ray and Steve for taking a guess.  It really was too hard,
but this group never ceases to amaze me....

Ray and Steve are both very close and nailed the period pretty well.

The work is a concerto for 2 pianos by Jan Ladislav Dussek (Dusik).  It
is a relatively late work, composed in 1805-6 and published as his Op.
63.  When I first heard this piece, I was particularly struck by this
passage, which seemed quite forward looking to me - very Romantic.  If
I had encountered it first as a clip I would likely have put it its date
of composition at about 1820-1830 at the earliest.

The recording is on Amabile.  I came across it originally looking for
music by Frantisek Mica, whose symphony Op.  25 is the companion piece
on the disc.  I got it at Music Bona here:

   http://www.musicabona.com/catalog/AM0027-2.html.en

I notice that the Dussek concerto is also available on releases from
Supraphon and Centaur.

We'll probably try another one tomorrow.  If anyone has any suggestions
for the next mystery piece, please let me know.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/