From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:56:24 -0500
I saw a reference to Konstantin Scherbakov's Rachmaninoff concertos 2
& 3 that indicated that his performances were quite good.  Does anyone
know anything about this CD?  I see that it is available as a SACD and
a DVD Audio.  I would only be interested in the plain vanilla CD.

His website says:

   S. Rachmaninov Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3
   Konstantin Scherbakov, piano
   Russian State Symphony Orchestra
   Dmitry Yablonsky, conductor

   ("Naxos" SACD 6.110013)
   (DVD-Audio 5.110013)

   "Many recordings of varied repertoire demonstrate that
   Scherbakov's brilliant piano technique and musicianship leave
   nothing to be desired.  In terms of technical ability and
   bravura showmanship, he is possibly the finest pianist before
   the public today.  He is a mature and fully capable artist...
   A quite good Second Concerto, the best Third Concerto I've
   ever heard" (Musicweb.uk)

Joel again: - The Musicweb site does NOT say "the best Third Concerto
I've ever heard"!!  I checked out their site to see who thought the third
was that good.  Any comments?

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan

 [There's a full review of this release at Classical Net:
   http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/n/nxs10013a.html
 -Dave]