From:
Jonathan A Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:54:35 -0800
I must second Karl Miller's  post:

>My perspective looks what our local classical station used to cost...
>with a full time staff of three people: station manager, program
>director/announcer, secretary-fundraiser, plus two on-call engineers for
>transmitter maint.  Most of the minor equipment repairs were done by the
>manager, who also helped with the transmitter maintenance...people gave
>freely of their time to host programs some of which drew from their own
>specialized collections.  We also had some part time announcers.

I am a veteran of a long-deceased non-commercial station which operated
much as Karl describes, broadcasting a great VARIETY of programming
including but not limited to CM.  Our budget was about one tenth of what
the typical NPR station spends on its proliferation of high-end
administrative salaries, secretaries, and placeholders.  FM radio is not
the only place in US society where internal bloat is mysteriously combined
with lowest-common-denominator product.

That being said, I realize that impersonal pressures contribute to this
syndrome, and I salute John Proffitt for keeping his NPR station to a
balanced format.

Jon Gallant                and                    Dr. Phage