From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:16:11 PDT
Tom Warren wrote:

>No one has mentioned Keith Lockhart for the position.  He's a few
>years older than that Austrian kid who's getting the nod, and he
>seems to have earned his dues.  It seems to me that it's the next
>step up from leading the Pops.

"That Austrian kid" is an adult with all the responsibilites and privileges
that any other adult has.

What does "earned his dues" mean? And, what is the close connection between
leading the Pops and leading the BSO beyond the fact that Lockhart wouldn't
have to make a residential move? I don't have any opinion of Lockhart one
way or another, but I would hope that the BSO would pick a conductor who
has "shined" in the pure classical repertoire.

Don Satz