From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:35:46 +0200
Pablo Massa, in response to Walter Meyer, about the verses:

>>It might have made more sense if occurring after the recapitulation
>>of themes from the earlier movements, but what is its point coming after
>>the the Ode to Joy theme has been fully stated and even treated to some
>>development? But aside from that, why are the earlier *Toene* ("tones")
>>less "angenehm" ("pleasant" or "agreeable")?
>
>Those words comes inmediatly after the recapitulation of the opening of the
>movement (bars 208-215).  I think that the words are referred strictly to
>this rough opening passage.

Exactly.  The rough opening passage is a recapitulation of the theme of
the sad and angry first movement.  Beethoven wants to chase them away with
the addition of those words and then, after this feeling has hastily left,
well, then it's time to sing and shout for joy.  Gone is the depression and
the mania is here to stay (maybe)!  There's a resemblance to some bars of
the finale of the 5th, roughly half-way.  Also those bars are a reminder
of less pleasant feelings, in this case expressed in the third movement.

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven