From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 00:21:53 +0100
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>No and No. You don't dare to say that, especially to me. Not while I'm
>holding my whip.

Okay. Now the the meat of the matter, I must agree with Mimi here, and
others, I find nothing at all wrong with having more than one version
of works. I don't do that because I don't have the money to go out and
buy multiple discs, and as you know, I don't listen much to CM at home
anyway, but I can understand the reasoning. It is one of the wonderful
things about music, one of the things that makes it keep on tickin
through the centuries, two performances of the same work can be so
drastically and radically different in so many ways: tempi, dynamic,
balance, phrasing, emphasis, overall vision, the list goes on and on.
My trio (http://www.serafinotrio.com:-) shameless plug) recently played
the Archduke trio of Beethoven and in the course of preparing the work I
listened to a couple of versions, then listened to the recording or ours,
and you could recognize that it was the same work, but the approach was so
drastically different that it was fascinating.

Once again, I am glad not to have been bounced (yet). Big hug. And get
away from me with that whip.

Dave Runnion
Mallorca, Espanya