From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:18:27 -0500
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>Gerardo seems to be plugging into a very current notion, at least since
>the 19th century, that great artists are great souls - in short, secular
>saints

I too have wondered where the connection between artistry and sainthood
began.  I know some wonderful musicians who are wonderfully warm souls
and very moral and upstanding, even religious.  I know others that could
qualify for guards in a torture chamber!  The influence of religion
(specifically right leaning conservative Christian religion) in this
country especially has always been a sore spot with me and I certainly
think that it need to stay out of the arts.

>Since religion has less hold over educated people than previously, they
>tend to turn to art as a substitute.  I myself think it an expectation
>unreasonable at least and pernicious at worst.  Furthermore, this
>particular reason to deduct transcendental points leaves out a lot of
>folks, from ancient Greece on.  I don't claim spiritual authority, any
>more than Gerardo does.  However, I have yet to hear anyone explain to
>me exactly what is so bad about homosexuality, other than its Biblical
>prohibition.

Given the high numbers of gay men and women who are also great artists,
it would seem to be more of a gift than a curse!  As for those prohibitions
in the bible, we could really get into an off topic debate on that issue.
But since no one pays much attention to some other prominent biblical
prohibitions (such as the Apostle pauls stance on the role of women to
point out the most egregious), I don't see why such a big deal is made
of the gay issue either.

Kevin Sutton