From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:42:47 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I heard on the radio Ewazen's Violin Concerto, a most beautiful work
>apparently influenced by Vaughan Williams' Tallis Fantasia and Dives and
>Lazarus.  ...  I'm interested to know if the violin concerto is typical
>of his style or, if not, which other composers he might be compared to.

After hearing his Violin Concerto I acquired several discs of his music.
I found the Violin Concerto to be the most satisfying of what I heard.
All of what I have heard is indeed stylistically similar.  For me, the
quality of the thematic material is variable.  I don't mean this is a
critical way, but, the best of what I have heard of his strikes me as
being "charming."

Karl