From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 18:17:04 -0700
Mark Knezevic wrote:

>One fine example of a 'modern' pop song is the Beatles "Across the
>Universe", not to mention many Phil Spectre produced songs, of the
>Righteous Brothers and stuff - ok sure, they have a 6/8 arpeggio beat,
>but it is not so 'drum' orientated.

You are quite correct.  Many of the songs in today's music rank up there
with any of the "songs" written by Schubert, et al, which fall into the
classical music category.  Here are a few that I think.

Lennon's Imagine
Eagle's Desperado
McCartney's Fool on a Hill
Beatle's Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby
CCR's Long as I Can See the Light

There are many others that will live forever if their "artistic" nature
and appeal to issues facing all humankind are the judgment criteria.

Bill Pirkle