From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:55:45 -0400
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I could think Haitink has recorded so much in the Bruckner-Mahler
>repertoire so that the major labels think there is so much so yet another
>edition wouldn't sell.  But that doesn't go for me.  If a live recording
>with Haitink and Berliner Philarmoniker occured, I'd buy at once.  I have
>heard a live recordingof a Mahler symphony with Berliner Phil under
>Haitink, and it was awesome!

Philips' ditching of Haitink's VPO Bruckner cycle is scandalous, IMO.
His recordings of the 3rd and 8th symphonies with the VPO are simply
magnificent, but I have to wonder if they really wanted to sell these
recordings to begin with.  The 8th was not widely available and was
released on a full-price 2-CD set with no coupling.  I think that if
they claimed that this product was not selling, and if that was their
reason for ditching the cycle, they must share part of the blame.

Ramon Khalona