From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:32:35 -0600
Dave Lampson:

>A little birdie pointed out that we seemed to have a little fun with
>the mystery piece from a few days ago (the William Tell Overture), but
>I think almost everyone will agree it was way too easy.  So, I decided
>to try another.  A short (<2 min) excerpt can be found here:
>
>  http://www.classical.net/sample03.mp3
>
>This comes from a recording in my collection, so I know what it is.
>It's a very tough one though - an obscure piece - so I may have to give
>hints.  Heck, it's probably too hard, but we'll see.

Since no one has yet identified it, I'll take a guess.  I'm sure I've
not heard this piece before.

It sounds to me like late Classicism, early Romanticism.  That leads me
to Beethoven or Mozart.  Indeed, a couple of phrases seem Mozartean to
me (probably means it's Hummel).  As far as I know, Beethoven wrote
nothing for two pianos and orchestra, which is what *I* hear, at any
rate.  So, a quick check of the Koechel catalogue shows me that Mozart
wrote a two-piano concerto, a work which would be new to me.

So I plump for that.

Steve Schwartz