From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:48:43 -0500
Wes wrote:

>Why did someone invent a 12 tone system? How ridiculous is that? The very
>nature of the system defeats any true possibility of inspired art.  the
>creation of a pre-determined system of tones seems to me to be the creation
>of a mind searching for something other than what was presently known.
>Doesn't seem like "actual"  music to me...but rather a new "groundbreaking"
>idea.

Why did someone invent sonata form? How can you possibly be inspired when
you are limited to specific harmonic structures and thematic outlines? Why
did someone invent fugues.  What inspiration can be gleaned from writing
a tune and then answering it a fifth above then making it all come out at
the double bar? Why did someone invent species counterpoint? How could any
renaissance composer have been inspired to write music with all those rules
about parallel fifths and not using tri-tones.  I just don't get it.

If dodecaphony defeats inspired art, could you please explain the Berg
violin concerto or Wozzek?

Kevin Sutton