From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:26:41 -0700
One issue that has been on my mind for the last several months is whether
or not CM listeners fairly judge pieces/performances when they have an
unfavorable view of the performer or conductor.  My main example is Leonard
Bernstein.  To my surprise I find that more people than not express an
opinion of dislike for Leonard Bernstein as conductor.  The most common
remarks I witness are negative and are usually about Lenny's supposed
arrogance or conceit.  What I want to know is, how in the world can anyone
make the judgment that he is arrogant in a particular performance just by
listening to the performance itself? Many people have said they don't like
Bernstein's interpretation of John Doe's symphony number 4.5 because he is
too into himself.  I think THIS is pretty arrogant, as if these people have
some direct insight into Lenny's mind via cerebral cortex satellite link.
It's ridiculous.  I think that if someone unknown had conducted the same
symphony in the EXACT same way, people might disagree but they SURELY would
not make the same allegations.  I often feel that Bernstein's "pop-culture"
status has more than anything to do with it.  CM fans just don't accept pop
icons in their world.  I am not saying this to all of you on this list, but
rather I am saying this ONLY to those people who regularly practice this
psychic insight nonsense.  I am saying this as a general statement.  I
often wonder where Bernstein would be held in everyone's hearts had he
conducted all the same material but never become such a GIANT of the
classical music scene.  I think becoming as big as he did is EXACTLY what
has caused this unfair(in my opinion) view of him in so many people's
minds.  I would love to hear from the many wonderfully talented and
intelligent people on this list as to why they love/like/dislike/hate Mr.
Bernstein.  I am not his greatest fan but I don't presume to be so
ridiculously arrogant as to claim to know his every working thought.

Wes Crone (Lighten up on the Famous guys, everyone.  After all, the fans
put them there)