From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:50:56 -0800
Hello all

I visited the very large Tower Classical Annex in downtown SF the other day
to pick up some CD's I just haven't been able to find anywhere else.

On Donald Satz's recommendation, I picked up Ropartz's chamber music on
the Timpani label.  An import, the price was $19.95.  Ouch!  I pointed
to the price tag and said to the cashier: "Surely this is just...fuzzy
numbers...?"  He just shook his head no. I have to second Don's enthusiasm,
especially regarding the "Prelude, Marine, et: Chansons."  Lovely stuff.
For a loose reference: What Field is to Chopin, Ropartz is to Faure.  I'm
glad Don and I agree.  I would hate to have had to work out our differences
over one hand of poker....

A big thumbs up for the Moeran Symphony in G on Chandos Enchant.   The
symphony is tight and full of marvels, though I'm a little disappointed
we only get to hear that beautiful secondary theme of the first mov't only
once.  Sure, it sounds a little bit like VW, Delius; even Bax and Walton.
I always hoped the Bax symphonies would sound this good, and in some ways
I prefer Moeran's Walton to Walton's Walton.  (I actually like Walton's
first, but sometimes I think it sounds as though either he, or the
orchestra, is trying too hard.  As for Bax, besides Tintagel and his
chamber music, his symphonic aesthetic eludes me overall.  I'm sure it's
me....)

Thank you to Todd Michel McComb for mentioning "Le Banquet Du Voeu/Dufay
Missa" as one of the gems of Virgin's X2 super mid-price series.  I heard
this music on the radio but only made out that is was the Banquet of???
Plus, it was stocked in the early music collection rather than with Dufay.
I like the wistfulness of some of this music very much.

Finally picked up Bach's Keyboard music, the Partitas, French Suites, and
English Suites--all in one box--with Gilbert on Harmonia Mundi.  I am
hardly in a position to rate Bach performances, (discussing the superior
Mahler of Sinopoli, Solti, and Haitink is a different matter), but I can
report that he plays on two harpsichords--a very tart one, (recorded with
x-ray clarity), for the French Suites; and a very mellow one for the
Partitas and English Suites.  Six CD's for $37.95.  Not bad, and Gilbert
works for me.

Liszt's "Faust Symphony," this time done by Fischer and the BFO.  Another
import, but oh well--I've been looking for this one for a long time.
Everything they say it true: It's a white-hot performance and you get to
see the forest *and* the trees for once.    If you have been underwhelmed
by Liszt, I would recommend this recording as well as Zimerman's regal, but
exciting and poetic performance of Liszt's Sonata in B.

John Smyth
Sacramento, Ca
http://facelink.com/j66560