From:
Rick Mabry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:27:24 -0800
Recently I teased,

>For your holiday enjoyment (or mine), a two-part quiz.
>
>(1) Name the composer of the piece from which this snippet is snipped:
>
> http://sun.cs.lsus.edu/~rmabry/mysterycomposer/mystery1.mp3
>
>The second part of the riddle will follow after three answers are posted
>to part (1).  (Of course, three *different* answers can probably not all
>be correct.)

Only one (Jim) has publically nibbled the bait, but I required 3 before
proceeding. I'm forced to go back on my word but need to save face.

Precedent: I have observed parents who threateningly warn their
disobediant children with a count: "You get in the car right now.  I'm
counting to three.  One!  --- I mean it, you'll get a spanking...  One!
--- You get over here right now or you won't get to play with your new ...
One!  --- I'm serious ..."

As a result, some American children never learn to count.

Anyway, counting to one will have to be enough for me!  So here's part
two, same question:

(2) Name the composer of the piece from which this snippet is snipped:

   http://sun.cs.lsus.edu/~rmabry/mysterycomposer/mystery2.mp3

The thing is, I was hoping for someone to "correctly misidentify" the
piece in part (1).  Even if you don't have confident guesses, it would
be interesting (perhaps only to me) to hear your reactions to the two
snippets (as a pair).  Familiar at all?  Ideally someone will blow the
whistle and point out what I'm up to.

Speaking of bad counting, you might be amazed (or alarmed) what can show
up in mathematical discourse when it comes to music.  Check out the
bottom of the last page of this article:

   http://www.win.tue.nl/~rhofstad/monthly753-756-hofstad.pdf

Rick