From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:57:00 PDT
Here's some brand new releases (at least in the U.S.):

a.  Biber's Missa Saliburgensis on Archiv directed by Goebel - I always
enjoy Biber's sacred works and have been waiting a few months for this
recording to hit our shores.

b.  Another volume in Olivier Vernet's traversal of Bach organ works on the
Ligia Digital label.  This one might be volume five, and I think it's a
3-cd set.  I've been impressed by Vernet in previous volumes.

c.  Scriabin's Symphony no. 3 and Poem of Ecstasy conducted by Pletnev on
DG - This is prime Pletnev territory.

d.  Haydn Divertimenti directed by Huss (period instruments) on Koch
Schwann - I enjoyed the two previous issues by Huss of Haydn overtures
very much.

e.  Chopin's Piano Concertos performed and directed by Zimerman on DG -
great works, great pianist - and we'll see about his directing ability.

f.  B. Marcello's Psalms of David on K 617 - I very much liked a vocal
works disc by Marcello on Opus 111 and will follow it up with this one.
K 617 is a very fine label.

g.  Marek piano works on Koch - marek is a fine late-romantic composer.
Koch has already released two orchestral Marek recordings and one orchestral
songs recording - all revealed a composer who is underplayed.

h.  Mozart's pinao concertos nos. 20 & 24 performed by Brendel and Mackerras
on Philips.  This is my top pick of the batch.  Great Mozart and outstanding
artists.

i.  Mozart's string quartet k. 465 and string quintet k. 614 performed by
the Lindsay Quartet on ASV.  This is a continuation of the Lindsay series
of coupling a string quartet with another chamber work.  The Lindsays seem
to have a high admiration from all circles, and I think it's well deserved.
Their Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, and Schubert are hard to beat.

The above is just a small sampling of what's out there.  No wonder many of
us use most of our discretionary money on recordings.

Don Satz