From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:08:27 +0100
Tony Duggan reported an article predicting the fall of DG

Seems like scaremongering to me.  DG have SO many great recordings, if
they got into trouble, just think how much they could make by reissuing
the Bernstein Mahler.  I'd buy a set if it were 60 quid.

But the decline in buying CM...  Naxos is providing many good recordings
for a third of the price.  Philips Duos are offering older great recordings
for effectively half the price.  How many more times do you need the
Beethoven symphonies recorded when you have Klemperer, Gardiner,
Harnoncourt, Bernstein, Karajan etc.  etc.  Digital sound quality seems to
be reaching a zenith, (is there THAT much difference between 16 bit and 20
bit? to most people's equipment? or 4D recordings?) so there is no point in
re-recording for that reason.  Surely this was bound to happen.

What we need is a new Benjamin Britten.  Let the record labels get their
teeth into something.  Or follow Chandos's example and find some stuff that
hasn't been recorded yet - I got an advert a while back for VW/Bax CD, both
pieces had not been recorded before.  If I had money to spend on full price
recordings in the UK, I would have availed myself of it.

Which is another point...  was this article referring to UK sales? If so I
am not surprised with the prices we have to put up with.

David Stewart