From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 11:12:33 +1000
Achim Breiling asked:

>Somebody knows where Snape Maltings is and what it has to do with
>Benjamin  Britten? I just wondered why pictures of this place - with
>its 4 prominent chimneys - is found frequently on the covers of Britten
>recordings.  Did Britten run a distillery to earn his livings?

An interesting idea - Ben's Beer is Best for You!

Snape is just up the road from Aldeburgh.  The Maltings was what its
name suggests and had superb acoustics which made it highly suitable for
recording and other musical activities.  I *think* it was destroyed by fire
but I don't remember when.

Richard Pennycuick