From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:57:47 -0400
I echo Tim Mahon's recommendation of Classicat.  It is the only program
that makes sense for a classical recording collector for if you buy the
full program, you get access to a databse of about 18,000 compositions as
well as hundreds of artists and labels.  Once you have this on your hard
drive, most of the drudgery of cataloging is avoided:  you don't have to
type in the details, but recall them from the database and then point and
click to have them be entered into the recording listing.  And it's easy to
add new composers/works and artists.  Once in the database, you never have
to type them in again when entering a recording.

The cost is very reasonable, there are regular updates to the database that
can be 'imported' and there's even a new improved version2 just about ready
for full release -- much improved report generators, for example, and a
better entry screen.  What are you waiting for? You can download a trial
version with just a few prelisted composers and compositions.  But it will
give you the flavor of the real thing.

I've been using this for some time now and have almost 500 CDs cataloged,
including Bach cantatas, Schubert songs, Haydn symphonies -- all pre-listed
for pointing and clicking.  That's about 495 CDs further then I ever got
with any previous cataloging program I tried.

I have no stake in this enterprise -- just believe that a great product
built on THE right idea should be supported!

Eric Kisch