From:
John Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 23:38:43 EDT
I hate to tell you but just about every modern recordings is cut and
pasted.  Pitch vibrato and echo are changed numerous times.  Everyone
cheats.  In an audio oriented publication a famous sound engineer talked
about spending countless hours mutilating a perfectly good performance of
Kissin's at the pianists request.  The "Moonlight Sonata" if I remember
correctly.  He used statements like "absurd amounts of echo" and so fourth
and live recordings are usually no more reliable, often a performer will
have a series of recitals with the same material and the best parts of the
pieces cut together.  Anybody who has done live recording knows of well of
the patch sessions.  In that same article the editor also mentioned the
only performer he knows of who doesn't doctor or splice his recordings in
the studio beyond recognition is Marc-Andre Hamelin.  The only way to avoid
these rather misleading practices is to see the performer live.

John Bradley