From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 08:53:11 -0500
Peter Lundin wrote:

>Not that I feel that the Planets are incomplete as they are but just adding
>Pluto is stil atleast one short: As Holst left out the dearest one of the
>lot; Tellus, mother earth - and what about the Sun, she the giver of life.
>[The sun is a star, not a planet.  -Dave]

True.  Holst based his music on the astrological significance of the
planets (so said the liner notes to my old Stokowski LP which I bought in
high school because I liked the picture on the front), so he COULD have
included the sun as well as the moon, (even though they aren't planets--so
may he could have called it "Heavenly Bodies") but not earth.

Perhaps a good suite to write today could feature the moons of Jupiter,
or something.  Trouble is, there isn't much legend associated with them
(unless you consider the Greek gods and demigods for whom they were
named--but then why drag these chunks of rock into it?)

Or maybe a suite dedicated to famous scientists and/or
astronomers--Galileo, Newton, Copernicus, Hawking, etc.

Just a morning ramble...

Chris Bonds