From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 09:53:49 -0700
David Harbin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Amy Chastek <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Here's a list (man, did you open a can of worms for listmembers!)-
>>
>>It would really get ugly if you asked this same unsafe question about
>>Bruckner symphonies.
>
>Here are what I'd go for with Bruckner:

Carefully sidestepping the question of versions....:-)

>1.?

Tintner for the real Linz version (1866), Sawallisch (Orfeo) for the
so-called Linz version.

>2.  Karajan/BPO

Tintner, Eichhorn (both the first version which is my favourite).
Asahina and Konwitschny are both terrific too.

>3.  Inbal/FRSO

Oh no!  Firstly this is the first version, which I have to admit I find a
bit too much.  I much prefer the 1877 and 1878 versions (almost identical)
from Haitink, Sinopoli and Kubelik.

>4.  Celibidache/Munich PO (EMI)

Actually my least favourite Bruckner symphony.  I like Furtwangler's Munich
performance and of course the legendary Boehm.

>5.  Furtwangler/BPO(1942)=Welser Most/LPO

Both emphasise the drama at the expense of the architecture (W-M more tha
Furtwangler).  I'd add:  Horenstein, Konwitschny, Jochum (pref the last,
on Tahra), Eicchorn's Capriccio recording, made live in St.  Florian.

>6.  NZSO/Tintner (despite the playing/poor editing)=Furtwangler/BPO (not
>complete).  I hear the recent Houston recording is worth a listen.

Klemperer, Sawallisch.

>7.  Knappertbusch/VPO (1949)=Karajan/BPO (EMI)

Rosbaud, Eichhorn, Tintner.

>8.  Wand/NDRSO (live Lubeck Cathedral)=Horenstein/LSO (live)

Somehow I never find Wand's commercially-released recordings quite
convincing - the adagio in the Lubeck performance is great but the rest
doesn' IMHO match up.  I'd certainly agree with Horenstein and would add:
Furtwaengler (1944), Abendroth, Jochum (1948) and a host of off-air
recordngs.

>9.  Giulini/VPO=Furtwangler/BPO, but I'd love to hear a really good
>recording of the completed final movement

Try Eichhorn on Camerata - also great performances of the first three
movements.

Deryk Barker