Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:18:55 EST
Byron wrote:

>I am new here.  If I raise a question like: who is a better
>composer-Mozart or Beethoven?  Will it a little bit too provocative?

Actually I'm new here too so please allow me to introduce myself.

I'm 19 and living in Melbourne, Australia.  I started learning piano at
the age of five but my lack of willingness to practise means that fourteen
years in front of the keyboard has made me a half-baked pianist at the very
best.  It's nice to meet you, my fellow list members and I hope that we get
to know one another better as we discuss about (or argue over) musical
issues.

Now regarding Byrons question.  IMO, it doesn't make much sense in saying
that Mozart is necessarily "better" than Beethoven or vise versa.  Mozart
was without a doubt the greater melodist of the two, but Beethoven (IMHO)
was the ultimate master of sonata form.  So I think any preference really
depends on the personality of the listener - whether they find a flawlessly
fluent melody more appealing, or they'd rather journey into thematic
developments full of unexpectedness.  Personally I listen to Beethoven more
often than Mozart, but that's just me.  I would never deny the genius of
the latter.

with regards,
Eric