From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:15:15 PDT
Tedd Jander wrote:

>I read an article in the Summer 1999 issue of Early Music America,
>about a version of Bach's Mass in B by Joshua Rifkin from 1982 that
>had one person per part.  No information was given about a record
>label, price, etc. of the recording or if the recording is available.

Rifkin's Bach Mass was on the Nonesuch label but has recently been reissued
on Ultima/Warner.  The catalog number is 7559-79563.

Rifkin also employed the one person per part approach to his Bach cantata
recordings for Decca.  I do like Rifkin's Bach Mass but find that his
approach works better with the cantatas.  However, I am glad I have his
Mass and like the change of pace it provides.

As for whether Rifkin's approach is correct or not, that's a decision for
each listener to make based on musical preference.  It's merit based on
historical accuracy interests me little.

Don Satz