From:
"Elihu L. Sussman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:36:38 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Gergiev has flummoxed me.  His Prokofiev series generally wowed me,
>especially the operas.  He's a great theater man, and Nevsky is nothing
>if not drama.  I have no idea what happened here.  Perhaps he'll rerecord
>the cantata when his attention is fully engaged

althought I haven't heard this recording the key word may be '"live"
I have seen Gergiev twice in the opera house once doing Otello and
then Traviata.  In both cases especially the Otello I was bored to tears.
however recently I purchase his recording of  Forza in the original
Russian premiere version...  wow!!  So somehow in live performance he
doesnt seem to stand up at least in my limited experience.  Anybody have
any opinions

Elihu Sussman