From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:34:12 +0100
Elihu writes:

>So somehow in live performance he doesnt seem to stand up at least in
>my limited experience.  Anybody have any opinions

I've seen Gergiev performing live in Rotterdam for some ten years or
more now in Rotterdam.  Yes, he is a mixed bag.

I have many great recollections of his Sjostakovitsj and Prokofiev
concerts.  He likes to take risks and sometimes it adds up sometimes it
doesn't.  Also, more than once, he's just too busy, nervous, and (sorry
to have to say this) plain UNPREPARED. On the other hand, when the
chemistry is there, it's plain magic.  Last year's Prokofiev festival
was a stunner that shed new light on neglected pieces like the second
and fourth symphony.

I shudder when I think back of experiences like a dreadful live Schumann
2, an utterly pointless disk with Thibaudet and a completely misguided
Verdi requiem disk.  Indeed a mixed bag this man.  Also, but this is
more a personal conviction than something proved: I suspect that he does
little to improve the actual standard of playing of the orchestras he
leads on the long run.  A few months ago, Mr. Zinman stopped in Rotterdam
(and Amsterdam) and the difference is noticeable.

Although the Nevski disk has some fine moments, especially in the
preceeding Scythian Suite, I found it much much less engaging than the
live performances I heard in September last year.

I think Valeri has got to get his act together and make disks only when
the time is right, and there is enough peace and concentration to do a
good job

regards, Jos.