From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:10:39 -0500
David Stewart wrote:

>But to the main question I wanted to ask: Boulanger.  Had never heard of
>him (or her?) before tonight.  It was suggested (by me) that this person
>was an impressionist.  Is this right? I find it hard to tell for sure
>because of the very emotional nature of the text (Psalm 130 or 24 whichever
>is longest).  ...

 From the hnh label website: http://www.hnh.com/composer/boul_l.htm

Boulanger, Lili (1893 - 1918)

Encouraged by her elder sister Nadia, the French composer Lili Boulanger
was the first woman to win the Prix de Rome and was prolific, during her
short life, writing music very much in the prevailing style of the period.

 [Note: Nadia Boulanger, of course, was the teacher who taught many of the
most prominent American composers of the 20th century from Copland on.]

  Orchestral Music
  Lili Boulanger's compositons for orchestra include Piece, Sicilienne
  and Marche gaie for small orchestra and a fuller Poeme symphonique.

  Chamber Music
  In addition to pieces for piano and for organ, Lili Boulanger wrote
  a violin sonata and pieces for cello, for oboe and for flute and piano.

  Choral and Vocal Music
  Choral and vocal music by Lili Boulanger includes a group of psalm
  settings, with the moving Du fond de l'abime, and the Vieille priere
  bouddhique of 1917. Other vocal settings include a Pie Jesu for
  mezzo-soprano, string quartet, harp and organ and settings of poems
  by Jammes and by Maeterlinck, whose La princesse Maleine had been
  intended as the subject of an opera, left unfinished at the composer's
  death in 1918.

Scott Morrison