From:
Malgorzata Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 18:50:38 +0200
Karl Miller wrote:

>Alastair Scott wrote:
>
>>Of course, not all the works are masterpieces, and Beethoven wrote quite
>>a few clunkers - but this is a remarkable idea!
>
>I would be curious to know what works are amongst those clunkers.  I am
>not disagreeing with the perspective that Beethoven might have written
>his share of clunkers, just wondered what works people might think would
>fall into that group.

The two early cantatas: for the death of Joseph II and for the enthronment
of Leopold II.  But he was still young then.

Wellington's Victory.  Dreadful propaganda stuff, if I ever heard one.

I don't count dances among "clunkers", since they fulfilled their role
just fine.

-MM