From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:05:34 -0600
Linsey Ruhl asks for:

>>the 20 best or most well known classical pieces.  Can you help me?

This reminds me of a grad-school roommate of mine who ordered an LP
titled "The 100 Greatest Moments of Classical Music," which was hawked on
late-night TV and UHF.  We played it almost as soon as it arrived.  Each
Moment was prefaced with an announcement spoken by the male equivalent of
the recording that used to announce the time on the phone.

"Moment Number 1" -- and the orchestra would plunge into "da-da-da-DAH!"

"Moment Number 2" -- "Freude, schoene Goetterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium!"

"Moment Number 3" -- the piano opening to Grieg's concerto.

Our sides hurt, we were laughing so hard.  Each moment was only a few
seconds long, so short sometimes it lasted not as long as the announcement.
But even if they weren't the greatest or most popular moments, by God,
there were a hundred of them.

Steve Schwartz