From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 14:59:23 -0400
Donald Clarke:

>I, too, am not very keen on solo organ music, but very fond of a Haydn
>organ concerto with orchestra, a recording that was once available on
>Nonesuch, by Karl Ristenpart; does anyone know if this recording is
>available on CD?

I fondly recall several LPs on that label, including of solo piano works
by Stravinsky, Bartok and John Field, but none have been transferred to
CD.

I'm not familiar with any other version of Haydn's organ concertos.
My acquaintance with all 3 is through Albert de Klerk on organ, with the
Amsterdam Chamber Orchestra under Andre Rieu.  (Sony/CBS SBK 47660; 68:41
mins) This CD also includes a version of Handel's most (only?) famous
organ concerto, 'The Cuckoo & the Nightingale'.

>Could Mr Bailey give us some more information about
>the 3-CD set of Handel organ concertos he mentions?

Mine are the Brilliant Classics versions, with Bohdan Warchall conducting
the Slovak Chamber Orchestra, and Ivan Sokol on the instrument.

My music shop shows that these 3 CDs are part of the 5-CD Brilliant
Classics pack.  I went through an eBay seller who seems to have a shipload
of this cheapie label for sale individually and in sets -- though in
their cardboard sleeves alone: no booklet, no plastic, no anything else.
Cost me under 12 dollars Canadian, including shipping from the UK for
the 3 CDs.  The eBay seller calls himself lederhose666.  (No relation
nor profit to me, etc.)

Bert