From:
Eric James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:26:16 -0400
Hector Llamas asks:

>Hi list members: Actually I'm writing the program notes for our local
>orchestra "Orquesta Sinfonica de Aguascalientes".  Next season they will
>play Hovhaness' "Artic".  Sadly I don't have information about this piece,
>I only know that is a kind of Horn Concerto.  Is this correct? Do you know
>a web site where can I find more information? Thanks in advance.

This IS a kind of horn concerto, although there is almost no opportunity
for virtuosic display, in other words, typical Hovhaness.  It is written
for solo horn and strings and is in 7 or 8 movements.  I can't remember all
the details but some movements have descriptive titles.  I have the music
at home and will check it out.  By the way, it's "Artik" and has nothing to
do with the "arctic".  Artik is the name of an octagonal Armenian church (I
think I've got that right).  It would sound great in a church.

Eric James