From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:01:52 -0400
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>This is all very very interesting, as I'm about to move out there in the
>heart of it all to see what the deal really is.  I must say I can't wait to
>live in a city with a real orchestra...but the general opinion of the BSO
>[on this list] is so low right now that, well, I'm not sure what to think.
>Well, OK.  I think the following:

Well you can think this.  Don't just think BSO.  Boston has some very fine
conservatory orchestras, especially Boston U and NEC.  Those concerts are
usually free and well worth attending.  There is a ton of chamber music
by major groups, and a little (not hardly enough) opera.

And there is the Handel and Haydn, Musica Viva, etc.  which, the more
I think of it, may in fact fill the need for the kind of performances
Stirling Newberry is asking for.  Even if they don't, they're here, and
they present more opportunities for concerts.  Boston is not New York or
London, but there are a lot of concerts here.  Just don't disdain the
students.

Roger Hecht