From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:03:00 +0000
Julia Werthimer wrote:

> Janacek ...
>
>This seems like quite a long evening, but the Mass only lasts about 40
>minutes.  I think a whole evening of Janacek would be very rewarding.

Sounds fantastic.  I think Janacek is still terribly underrated.  Also,
the idea of mixing orchestral with chamber music in one concert is very
rewarding.  Actually, this WAS normal practice in concert life up to only
100 years ago.  The most famous example is of course the concert where
Beethoven's fifth was premiered.  It featured a lot of other stuff (other
symphony, choral fantasy, arias).

Here's my proposition: a Moussorgsky evening.

1.  orchestral ouverture Kovantchina
2.  songs and dances of Death (at will in vocal/piano version
    or in Sjostakovitsj's orchestrated version)
interlude.
3.  pictures at an exhibition (piano version)
4.  same in ravel's orchestration.

Furthermore, if I were an impressario with magical power and a pile of
dollars, I would have Valeri Gergiev rushed in with his Kirov orchestra,
and have Sjalapin resurrected for the vocal parts and Svjastoslav Richter
to play the piano.