From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:21:35 -0700
Tony Duggan ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Sam Kemp wrote:
>
>>Who would you rate as the best conductor (of the recording era) for
>>Mahler's symphonies, if such an aesthetic preference can be expressed?
>
>Directed at Deryk, I know, but he won't be surprised if I come in
>also.  Hard to name one but no one will be surprised if I opt for Jascha
>Horenstein.  He satisfies me in Mahler more and on more occasions than any
>other conductor of that composer.  There are others but his stands out for
>me and always has.

Indeed.  Horenstein in Mahler (and many another composer) is rather like
Solomon in Beethoven.

Unfortunately, of course, there is no Horenstein 2nd.  But we do have great
ones from Barbirolli and Scherchen.

Put a gun to my head and this would be my preferred cycle; I've allowed
myself 2 choices for some.

   1     Kubelik (live, not the DG), Horenstein (1970)
   2     Scherchen, Klemperer BRSO
   3     Horenstein, Haitink Kirstmatinee
   4     Horenstein, Mengelberg
   5     Inoue (the best 5th Barbirolli never conducted)
   6     Barbirolli (controversial), Horenstein (Bournemouth)
   7     Horenstein, Scherchen Toronto (controversial)
   8     Horenstein
   9     Horenstein (1966 LSO)
   DLvdE Horenstein
   10    Sanderling, Olson

Restricting myself to my personal pantheon of 3, the only real problem
is 5:  the only Horensteins are unissued, the Barbirolli falls down in
the finale and Scherchen's mono aside, his later performances (France,
Philadelphia) are heavily cut.  Still, that mono 5 ain't to be sneezed at.

Deryk Barker