From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:33:15 PDT
Leighton M Gill wrote:

>I like the adherence to Beethoven's tempi (the conductor should at least
>be in the ballpark) but downsizing an orchestra for a Beethoven symphony
>is like powering a space shuttle with a hamster on a treadmill.

I have a different perspective.  I just don't notice any decrease in power
or thrust in a HIP performance of Beethoven symphonies.  I do notice a
decrease in "richness." That's offset by an enhancement in clarity and
crispness.  Also, in recordings, microphone placement and the engineering
process can do their magic.

As an aside, my wife is in Mexico all week counseling families; what a job.
It would sap me completely by the end of the first hour.  Anyways, I've
been taking the opportunity to max out on my Bach organ recordings, since
Bach organ makes my wife hostile (toward me).  Preston, Herrick, and Bowyer
have been bombarding me for the past four days.  Wow!  If you think Bach
organ works sound great at moderate volume, give yourself a treat at high
decibels.  And the performances and sound on these recordings are very
impressive.  I don't like living alone for many days straight, but Bach
definitely eases the problem.

Don Satz