From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:12:59 -0700
Regarding my choice of Chantal Juillet/Dutoit over Zehetmair/Rattle in the
Szymanowski Violin Concerti, Phillip Peters writes:

>But wouldn't you agree that Zehetmair plays the violin about 1000 times
>better than Juillet?

You know, choosing one artist or composer over another is such a personal
decision frought with so many so many subjective pitfalls, that I think
it's better just to repect each other's choices with a smile and move
on--complete agreement is almost as rare as perfect taste.

But anyway, here's why I'm right and you're wrong--

Juillet is more than adequate in the violin part for me.  What I found
lacking was in the Rattle/Birmingham accompanyment.  You may find it
surprising to hear me say this, being a sometimes-Sinopoli fan, but I while
Dutoit provides detail aplenty, the performance is a slight bit cooler and
more coherent than the Rattle.

The refinement of the Montreal band is TDF, (To Die For), esp.  in the
opening of the 1st concerto with all the delicate percussive and woodwind
effects, (these I find too spotlit in the EMI), but to be completely
pursuaded, try track 8 @ 8:13 to the end.  Highlights include the sudden
cymbal cresc.  from nothing to fff in what must be the duration of an
eighth note(!), the sizzling strings surging up the scale in trilling minor
2nds, and those wonderful horns answering the strings as the motto theme is
restated by the whole orchestra--all while the bass drum thunders away...
Oh thank you Szymanowski!!!

Well, I'm ready for a Cigarette!  (Anyone who does not know this music, or
listens to it on small speakers--for SHAME.)

John Smyth