From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:06:46 +0000
Watch out for the Mravinsky/Leningrad Phil Tchaikovsky 6 on the mid price
Warner Elatus label.  The 6 is a late recording from the mid eighties and
is live.  It is coupled with Francesca da Rimini.  The Mravinsky 6 is the
most searing version I've heard, with a ferocity in the first movement and
flexibility of strings they defies belief.  If the Francesca (if it is the
same as the one I heard on a cheap label) has wide ranging string dynamics
and a storm & closing pages that put the famous Stkowski version well in the
shade.

Highly recommended.

David Harbin