From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:07:59 +0200
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]> asked for my further comments on
the matter of cover designs and artists' control over their designs.

In general terms my remarks perhaps encompassed too large an area for it
is true that in the case of Naxos no artists would have a say (especially
where most of the covers are of paintings anyway).  Similarly I'd guess
that Hyperion stand for no nonsense in the matter!  Where recordings are
for secondary exploitation in a series (Duo, Forte, Double Decca etc.)
then, obviously the artist has no say.

On other occasions companies might welcome photos being supplied by the
artist.  Vanessa Mae's revealing exit from the sea was most likely to have
been "imposed" from outside or by the company's pop marketing division
(remember what happened when Nigel K.  fell into the wrong hands!).  Indeed
where marketing departments are involved then, de facto, the artist has to
be involved too.  Some artists will contract cover responsibility to their
agents.

It may be interesting to note that when I was releasing video programmes
al the designs for LD/VHS covers/inlays had to be cleared with the
TV/production company from whom the rights to the programme had been
acquired and (like many artists) these people had little or no experience
in that area.  There never was any disagreement as it happened but where
the cover involved some female dragon common sense meant that her
representatives had to approve as well.  This occasionally meant a
transatlantic trip by someone to put the design proposal in person (thus
adding another $10k to the origination costs!).  I never did come across
a male with this problem though I am sure they exist!

In general terms the matter concerns, I think, first release at full price.
The moment lawyers appeared on the scene, to represent the artist in their
dealings with record companies (early 1960s), all kinds of conditions were
imposed.  Many more demands have been resisted, no doubt.

Now that computers can perform all kinds of trickery I have known artists
request "modifications" to the photos (this must be quite common).  I once
had a cigarette removed from a cover and was later thanked by the artist!
One has to be very careful here for what would a Walter Legge photo look
like without the fag!? It was part of both the period and the character.
But I digress.

The original source of this subject was Mutter looking glamorous.  I'll go
with Don Satz on this - if they're agreeable to look at, that's fine, but
I find it offensive when an extremely beautiful artist (viz.  Ofra Harnoy)
gets "knocked" for her glamour just as (at the other end of the spectrum)
Nigel Kennedy's picture (and personality) puts me off completely (bring
back the bulldog).

After all when I was a teenager I was desperately in love with Christa
Ludwig and Graziella Sciutti and their pictures were on the wall of my
study at school (I still have a similar problem today with Diana Montague
and Flicka!).  But that's enough of all that!

Yes, Dave, the stature of the artist counts.  But would that Gergiev had
used his influence to prevent the ghastly design on the (twin versions of)
Boris Godunov reaching the market (Kirov/ Philips Classics).

John G. Deacon
Home page:    http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon
Pipedown          http://www.btinternet.com/~pipedown